Go To
:: Home
:: About Us
:: Services
:: Fees
:: News
:: FAQs
:: Contact Us
Useful Links
Yellow Pages
More Links


Q. How long does it take to process the immigration application?

A. It normally takes 12 to 18 months to obtain an immigration visa after submitting the application.

Q. I do not have enough qualification to submit my application as a professional. Do I still have a chance?

A. If your spouse qualifies for the immigration then he/she can be the principal applicant and you can still have a chance.

Q. How much money will I need to go to Canada?

A. The Canadian government does not provide financial assistance to independent immigrants, who are expected to be self-supporting. You may not find a job quickly and will need to take enough funds to settle in Canada and support yourself and your family. You will be asked to show that you have transferable funds of at least $10,000 (Canadian) for yourself plus $2,000 for each dependent.

Q. Who qualifies as an independent immigrant?

A. A person with specific occupational skills and experience may qualify as an independent immigrant. These skills must be readily transferable to the Canadian labor market.

Q. Does it help to have a relative in Canada?

A. Yes. Having a close relative living in Canada increases your point score under the selection system. The relative must be a permanent resident or Canadian citizen aged 19 or over, and he/she must be a "close relative". You must provide documentation to prove the relationship.

Q. Who is included in my application?

A. If you are married, your spouse should be included as a dependent. You must also include on your application all dependent children whether they are accompanying you to Canada or not. Your dependents must undergo and pass background checks and medical examinations. All dependents 18 years of age or over must complete their own individual application form.

Q. Do I need a passport or travel document?

A. You and your dependents must have valid passports or travel documents. If any of the documents are to expire soon, you should renew them. Diplomatic, official, service or public affairs passports cannot be used to immigrate to Canada. You must have a valid regular or private passport when you arrive. The validity of your visa may be affected by the validity of your passport.

Q. Must I or other members of my family attend an interview?

A. A visa officer will review your application and decide if an interview is necessary. If so, you will be informed of the time and place. Your spouse and dependent children aged 18 or over may be asked to accompany you to the interview. The visa officer may ask about your job, work experience, education, reasons for migrating, plans and preparations. The officer may also ask about your family, spouse and/or dependents, or about your health, financial situation, or past difficulties with the law. There may also be questions to determine your ability to settle successfully in Canada.

Q. Do professionals need registration and licensing to work in Canada?

A. In Canada, approximately 20 percent of occupations are regulated to protect the health and safety of Canadians (e.g., nurses, engineers, teachers, electricians). People who want to work in regulated occupations need to obtain a license from a provincial regulatory body. Licensing requirements often include education from a recognized school, Canadian work experience and completion of a technical exam. Fees for exams can be costly and are the responsibility of the applicant. Final assessment by the provincial authority can only be made once you are in Canada with permanent resident status.

Q. For how long is my Immigrant Visa valid?

A. The validity date is based upon the earlier of: your or your dependents' passport validity date(s); or the medical validity date(s). Medical examination results are valid for 12 months after the initial medical examination. Immigrant visas cannot be extended once issued. If applicants do not use the visas within their validity, they must reapply for immigration to Canada.

Q. Is there a medical requirement for immigrating to Canada?

A. Yes. You and your dependents, whether accompanying you or not, must undergo and pass a medical examination. To pass the medical examination you or your dependents must not have a condition that is a danger to public health or safety or would cause excessive demand on health or social services in Canada.

Q. For how long is the medical examination valid?

A. The medical examination is valid for 12 months from the date of the first medical examination. If your visa is not processed in this time, you must undergo another complete medical examination.

Q. Must everyone in my family have a medical examination?

A. Yes. All of your dependents who are not already permanent residents or Canadian citizens, whether they will accompany you to Canada or not, must undergo a medical examination.

Q. After obtaining permanent resident status in Canada, what if I need to return to my country to settle my affairs?

A. Permanent residents may leave and re-enter Canada as often as they wish as long as they spend less than six months in any 12-month period outside Canada. If permanent residents are out of Canada for more than six months in any 12-month period, they will require a Returning Resident Permit to re-enter Canada. While such permits can be applied for either in Canada or overseas, they can only be applied for after you have become a permanent resident.

Q. What are my rights and obligations as a permanent resident of Canada?

A. You and your dependents have the right to live, study and work in Canada for as long as you remain permanent residents, and are entitled to most social benefits accorded to Canadian citizens. When you have met citizenship requirements, you may apply for Canadian citizenship and a Canadian passport.

This page is continuously updated in view of your questions.



Book in the space for an advertisement. For more information Click Here
The Governor General

The Prime Minister

Copyright @ 2000 Computer Asssist International          Disclaimer